Thursday, February 5, 2015

Little Bit of Lemon

I love dessert. You all know this. But honestly, I don't bake sweets often. Most nights, I'll just grab a bowl of my favorite Ben & Jerry's Phish Food. Then, every once in a while, I'll get a little bit of inspiration and pull out my Kitchen Aid to create some different concoction.

My inspiration usually comes from what I already have at home, so I don't have to run to the store for random ingredients. Also, I think it forces me to be a little creative when I have to work with what I have! Last night when I looked in my fridge, I still had a bag of lemons from my grandma's lemon tree in Arizona, so I decided lemon bars it is!


Classic Lemon Bars - Recipe from Joy the Baker

Ingredients:
  • About 2 lemons 
  • All-purpose flour
  • Granulated sugar
  • Unsalted butter
  • Salt
  • Eggs
  • Powdered sugar (the one thing I didn't have, but it's just to put on top at the end)
See, most of the ingredients I guarantee you probably already have at home, so this should be pretty simple! 



Step 1: Crust

Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 stick of butter until combined. Add 1 cup flour and pinch of salt and mix. Then press dough into 8x8 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.



Step 2: Filling

While crust is baking, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of flour until well mixed. 



Step 3: Bake and enjoy!

After warm crust is brown on edges remove form oven and pour filling over warm crust. Then bake in the oven for another 18 minutes. When finished, sprinkle powdered sugar over top and cut into 9 squares!

This will definitely become one of my go-to desserts. I promise it's worth the time. I can actually now tell a difference between a homemade lemon square and not homemade. What are some of your homemade dessert go-to's? 

Happy almost Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment